Law Enforcement Officer
Law Enforcement Basic Recruit Schedules
The Law Enforcement Division of the Southwest Florida Criminal Justice Academy is responsible for delivering the Law Enforcement Basic Recruit, Auxiliary, Equivalency of Training (EoT), and Crossover from Corrections to Law Enforcement programs.
There are four ways one can become a certified Law Enforcement Officer in the State of Florida:
- Complete a basic recruit training program for Law Enforcement Officers
- Be certified in the State of Florida as a Correctional Officer and Complete a Crossover program from Corrections to Law Enforcement.
- Be certified in the State of Florida as a Correctional Probation Officer and Complete a Crossover program from Correctional Probation to Law Enforcement.
- Be a certified Law Enforcement Officer in the United States and apply for the Equivalency of Training (EoT) program.
In order to carry out the duties and responsibilities of a Law Enforcement Officer one must:
- Complete the appropriate training program
- Pass the Florida State Certification Examination
- Be employed or appointed as a Law Enforcement Officer by a certified Agency
Minimum requirements for employment as a Law Enforcement Officer
- Be at least 19 years of age
- Be a citizen of the United States
- Be a high school graduate or equivalent
- Not have been convicted of any felony or of a misdemeanor involving perjury or false statement
- Not have a dishonorable discharge from any of the armed forces of the United States
- Achieve a passing score on the CJBAT Test for LAW ENFORCEMENT
- Have been fingerprinted by the employing agency with prints processed by the FDLE and the FBI
- Have passed a physical examination by a licensed physician
- Have good moral character
- Completed an Affidavit of Applicant form CJSTC-68
- Successfully passed a background investigation to include drug testing
- Successfully completed one of the Law Enforcement Officer Basic Recruit, Crossover, or EOT training programs
- Achieve a passing score on the State Officer Certification Examination
- Complied with mandatory retraining for continuing training or education requirements
Additonal Requirements For Entrance Into The Southwest Florida Public Service Academy
Complete a CJBAT or FBAT. (BAT)
Meet the minimum qualifications (including a PAT).
Complete Academy application
Pass a mandatory drug screen test.
For Academy Price List